Posts Tagged May Day
Gingrich calls ‘May Day’ on his campaign
After last night’s electoral thumping in five states, Newt Gingrich has finally gotten the message. His presidential campaign is over. He should have never have been considered a serious contender for the highest office in the land because of his twisted thinking, penchant for bombast and know-it-all condescension. Jonathan Bernstein sums up my feelings on the whole affair, “Good riddance.”
Yet the thing that makes me happiest about the disappearance of Gingrich campaign is the disappearance of his Secret Service detail. Tuesday night’s results made it clearer than ever that it made no sensefor him to have such protection. Unfortunately, the daily $44,000 tab doesn’t end until he makes it official. That won’t be until May 1. Did he pick that date to give a nod to May Day — or mayday?
Whatever the reason, until May 1, Gingrich will waste another $308,000 in taxpayer money. He can’t get out of this race fast enough.
- As campaign nears end, Gingrich Secret Service protection costly (wcnc.com)
- Newt Gingrich to suspend campaign next week (dailyamericannews.com)
- Newt Gingrich’s Secret Service protection costs $40,000 per day (dailykos.com)
- Newt Gingrich to End Bid for Presidency (towleroad.com)
- Newt Gingrich to Suspend Presidential Campaign (newsy.com)
- Newt Gingrich to suspend campaign Tuesday (rawstory.com)
- Newt Gingrich plans to suspend campaign next week (whptv.com)
- What’s Next for Gingrich? (kcrg.com)
- Gingrich To Leave Presidential Race Next Tuesday, Sources Say (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)