Posts Tagged Marshall
‘Father of Loud’ Amp Inventor Jim Marshall Dies, Aged 88
By EWAN PALMER
April 5, 2012
Jim Marshall’s name became one of most recognisable for rock guitarists and their legions of fans (Reuters)
The founder of Marshall Amplification, Jim Marshall OBE, has died at the age of 88.
A tribute to the man known as the Father of Loud was posted on his official website, praising the man whose name became iconic for electric guitarists.
Marshall amplifiers have been used by some of the biggest and most famous names in rock music since the 1960s.
Marshall, of Acton, West London, received the Award for Export from the Queen in 1984 in recognition of his company’s achievements over a three-year period.
A statement on his official website read: “It is with profound sorrow that we announce the passing of our beloved founder and leader for the past 50 years, Jim Marshall. While mourning the Guv’nor though, we also salute a legendary man who led a full and truly remarkable life.
“Jim’s ascent into the history books as ‘the Father of Loud’ and the man responsible for ‘the Sound of Rock’ is a true rags-to-riches tale. Cruelly robbed of his youth by tubercular bones, Jim rose to become one of the four forefathers responsible for creating the tools that allowed rock guitar as we know and love it today to be born.
“The ground-breaking quartet also includes the late, great trio of Leo Fender, Les Paul and Seth Lover – together with Jim, they truly are the cornerstones of all things rock.
“In addition to the creation of the amps chosen by countless guitar heroes and game-changing bands, Jim was also an incredibly humble and generous man who, over the past several decades, has quietly donated many millions of pounds to worthy causes.
“While the entire Marshall Amplification family mourns Jim’s passing and will miss him tremendously, we all feel richer for having known him and are happy in the knowledge that he is now in a much better place which has just got a whole lot louder!
“Rest in peace and thank you, Jim.”
- ‘Father of loud’ Jim Marshall dies (itv.com)
- ‘The Father Of Loud’, Guitar Amp Pioneer JIM MARSHALL Dies At 88 (bravewords.com)
- Jim Marshall, creator of Marshall amplifiers, dies aged 88 (walesonline.co.uk)
- Marshall Amps founder Jim Marshall passes away (twitchy.com)
- Jim Marshall, Amp Pioneer Known As ‘The Father Of Loud,’ Has Died (npr.org)
- Jim Marshall – A Life Lived Loud… (fluffrick.wordpress.com)
- Amplify your kitchen cool with the Marshall Fridge (gizmag.com)
- Amp man Jim Marshall dies aged 88 (furfm.wordpress.com)
- R.I.P. Jim Marshall (rockposer.wordpress.com)