Posts Tagged Eleanor Roosevelt
Mitt Romney’s problem with women is not Hilary Rosen, but Ann Romney
Saturday, April 14, 2012
Photo: Mitt Romney stands behind his wife Ann AP
CHICAGO, April 14, 2012 — Hilary Rosen lost a huge chunk of credibility with her implication that stay-at-home mothers are not concerned with the economy, and that’s a shame.
The point Rosen was trying to make is that Mrs. Romney has never had to worry about having enough money to put food on her children’s plates or whether or not they will be able to afford college, and that because of this, she is not in touch with the majority of women in the country.
All of the outrage over Ms. Rosen’s comments is diverting attention from another underlying message in Mitt Romney’s remarks that his wife serves as his advisor on women’s issues.
Leaders use advisors to teach and inform them. Leaders choose these advisors based on their knowledge and expertise. However, Romney’s choice of advisor on women’s issues is a woman who does not understand the issues facing the majority of women in this country.
Mitt Romney is using, as his sole advisor, a person who is unfamiliar with where the country as a whole stands on her given field of expertise.
Yes, Mrs. Romney is a woman. She is a woman whose entire education is from elite private schools. She is a woman with a lakefront home in New Hampshire and an oceanfront home in La Jolla, California. She’s a woman who owns and competes with several dressage horses, which often cost in excess of $1 million.
Ann Romney, Mitt’s advisor on all things women
But is there anything in her background that implies that she truly understands the struggles facing the average American woman? Is there anything that implies that she understands that she is not the average American woman?
This country would be a very different place without First Ladies such as Eleanor Roosevelt, Abigail Adams, and, yes, Hillary Clinton. Thinking that a President will not be influenced by his spouse is naive. Thinking that one’s spouse can speak for the entire country by virtue of her gender is also naive.
A quick scan for other Romney advisors on women’s concerns comes up blank. It could be that Romney lumps men’s and women’s concerns together. It could also be that he is not concerned with women’s concerns. Perhaps he is not aware that while men and women have much in common, some of their concerns differ. Many women could not care less whether Viagra is covered by insurance.
A dressage horse in the ring
One hopes Mr. Romney’s advisor has pointed out to him the fact that these differences are very real. Unfortunately, Mrs. Romney has been known to keep things from Mitt that he might find disagreeable. When asked how many dressage horses she owns, she once replied “Mitt doesn’t even know the answer to that! I’m not going to tell you!”
Romney has chosen an advisor who was already part of his inner circle and who has limited expertise in her field. He makes no apparent effort to consult others. And he wants to be our Commander in Chief. He wants the authority to decide when our troops are deployed. He wants to be in charge of our economic situation. And apparently he wants advisors he is comfortable with, whether or not they are qualified for the job.
What we want, or what we should want, as a country is a leader who will choose advisors who have a better understanding of the world outside of the country club gates.
So while we continue shaking our fists at Hilary Rosen’s insensitivity, let’s not lose sight of Mitt Romney’s. Ms. Rosen’s remarks offended stay-at-home moms across the country. Mitt Romney’s advisor selection process should scare us all.
- Hilary Rosen vs. Ann Romney: why the dust-up is fake – CSMonitor.com (mbcalyn.com)
- Rosen gives Romney a chance to close the presidential gender gap – The Hill’s Blog Briefing Room (mbcalyn.com)
- “A Legitimate Point”: Ann Romney’s Not Your Typical Working Woman (mykeystrokes.com)
- Ann Romney Responds To Hilary Rosen’s “Never Worked A Day In Her Life” Comment [Video] (subzinfo.wordpress.com)
- Let’s Please End This Phony ‘Girl Fight’ (newser.com)
- Elizabeth Birch Hilary Rosen: The Children’s Other Mom – Hilary Rosen Worries About Same Things Ann Romney Worries About (cajunconservatism.wordpress.com)
- Michelle Obama Sticks Up For Ann Romney, Avoids Attacking Hilary Rosen (inquisitr.com)
- Ann Romney Versus Hilary Rosen (webpronews.com)
- Will the Hilary Rosen-Ann Romney Uproar Matter for the Election? (usnews.com)
- What exactly qualifies Hilary Rosen to know what women want? (theblaze.com)
- Cagle Post - Political Cartoons & Commentary - » Thirty Years On The Road to a Poorer America
- Free Wood Post - Elderly Woman Stubs Her Toe, Blames President Obama
- 48-Year-Old Man Actually Very Open To Dating 25-Year-Olds | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
- Spring Ahead
- Survival of the Mittest
- A Comparison of The Great Depression and The Great Recession | Scoop News
- Ostentatious Baby Names by Tom Purcell
- Grenada Picture – Underwater Wallpaper – National Geographic Photo of the Day
- US watchdog bans photoshopping in cosmetics ads | ExtremeTech
- How a Lone Grad Student Scooped the Government and What It Means for Your Online Privacy - ProPublica
Blogs I Follow
- SATIRE NATION
- Thoughtfully Prepping
- Derek's Blognet
- The Better Man Project
- Don Charisma
- ∙ tenderheartmusings ∙
- The Wine Wankers
- Good Time Stories
- musings from a musical mind
- Deep Shit Media
- 38 Years
- Chastisement 2014
- Direct From The Street - Stuff We And People Share
April 2015 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30