Posts Tagged BlueKai
by Don Reisinger October 25, 2011
All the purchases you make with your MasterCard or Visa could be used to provide you with more-targeted ads as you surf the Web, a new report claims.
According to today’s Wall Street Journal, the credit card companies are currently trying to work out a system whereby purchases consumers make in a brick-and-mortar store can be used to deliver more effective ads online.
A MasterCard document obtained by the Journal outlines some of the company’s plans, which included linking Web users with purchases. According to document, the credit card provider said it believes “you are what you buy.”
However, MasterCard told the Journal that the plans included in that document have been shelved because it would have revealed too much information about individual buyers. Instead, the company told the Journal, it is exploring ways to anonymously group a person’s purchase history with others to create marketing “segments.” That data would then be sold to marketing firms.
Citing a source, the Journal said that Visa is planning a similar service, which would aggregate its customers’ purchase history into segments, including location, to make ads more effective at appealing to people in a respective area.
Although those plans might have a profoundly positive impact on the advertising industry, it does raise several privacy concerns. Although companies have long shared customer data with marketing agencies, individual consumers have always been wary of companies peering into where they are, what they’re buying, and how much they’re spending.
For its part, MasterCard told the Journal that customers have nothing to worry about. For one, the company says, it collects data, such as when a purchase was made and where, on 23 billion transactions, but it never includes who actually makes the purchase. Plus, both MasterCard and Visa, which also collects that information, allow users to opt out of the data collection, if they so choose.
Looking ahead, there’s no telling what MasterCard and Visa will do, since, as the companies pointed out to the Journal, their plans are still “preliminary.”
However, as the Journal’s sources in the advertising industry said, buying history is a potential treasure trove for marketers. And MasterCard and Visa, along with other credit card companies, realize that. What’s more, the Journal says, MasterCard could be getting close to selling purchase data through online data auction services, BlueKai and Exelate, though those firms have yet to sign an agreement.
Neither Visa nor MasterCard immediately responded to CNET’s request for comment.
- WSJ: Visa, MasterCard Looking Into Online Targeted Advertising Using Credit-Card Data (anisekirkpatrick.wordpress.com)
- Visa, MasterCard to use buying history for ad targeting? (news.cnet.com)
- Visa and MasterCard want to target advertising based on personal credit card transaction histories (daveibsen.typepad.com)
- Mastercard, Visa To Help Target Ads (yro.slashdot.org)
- Brick-and-Mortar Buys Could Aim Online Ads (newser.com)
- Visa, MasterCard Looking Into Online Targeted Advertising Using Credit-Card Data (online.wsj.com)
- MasterCard, Visa Aim to Sell Insights Into People’s Shopping (online.wsj.com)
- MasterCard’s Talks with Madison Avenue (blogs.wsj.com)
- Visa, MasterCard want to track you in real life to sell you ads (dvice.com)
- Now You’d Better Think Before You Swipe Because Your Bank Might Be Watching (businessinsider.com)
- Was Einstein Wrong? U.S. Accelerator Lab To Test CERN’s Results
- Drunken Analyst Fired After Trashing Colleague's Desk (HR Takes Picture) Business News Here Is The City News Financial Markets News And Views
- Donald Trump Stares Forlornly At Tiny, Aged Penis In Mirror Before Putting On Clothes, Beginning Day | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
- MacGyver of the Day: Electronics Hacker Jeri Ellsworth - Makers - Lifehacker
- HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU
- PoliticalCartoons.com Cartoon
- Paul Ryan Knocked Over By Pack Of Rambunctious Romney Boys | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
- A Comparison of The Great Depression and The Great Recession | Scoop News
- Playboy wants your tween - Teenagers - Salon.com
- Bizarre crash between planes from both U.S. air safety agencies leads to call for Canadian help | News | National Post
Blogs I Follow
- SATIRE NATION
- Thoughtfully Prepping
- Mongos Blognet
- The Better Man Project ™
- Don Charisma
- ∙ tenderheartmusings ∙
- The Wine Wankers
- Good Time Stories
- musings from a musical mind
- Deep Shit Media
- 38 Years
- Chastisement 2014
- Direct From The Street - Stuff We And People Share
September 2015 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30