Obama Offers To Raise Welfare Benefits If Recipients Vote For Him
September 17, 2012
By Sarah Wood
Coming into the home stretch of the 2012 election cycle, the Obama campaign has come up with a new strategy to assure votes coming in from lower-income individuals and families reliant upon welfare benefits. The president has promised to raise the dollar amount of benefits received if they guarantee to vote for him at the polls on November 6th.
In the letter to welfare beneficiaries which was intercepted by Free Wood Post, it states:
We here at Obama for America understand how difficult this economy has been for you and your family. Looking at how things are going and as prices are going up, we recognize that you are going to need more money in your pocket to provide for your family. If you promise your vote for President Obama this fall, he will sign an executive order which will increase welfare benefits, including food stamps by 10 percent. This additional revenue should give you the peace of mind that your family will be covered during this economic recovery.
In addition, if you donate $10 or more to the campaign we promise you $3000 towards the down-payment of a new GM car. If you donate $100 or more, the car shall be provided for you and delivered to your residence, and don’t worry about taxes and fees, we’ve got that covered.
We appreciate your support, but most importantly we look forward to working with you and your family in the future to make sure you live your best life possible.
Obama for America
This letter will be a definite boost for Obama’s numbers at the polls, but will also be the subject of animosity for those who think welfare recipients are currently receiving too much as it is. President Obama has already been labeled “The Food Stamp President” and this will certainly add fuel to the hyperbolic fire that is already raging. Some may even see this as the president trying to buy votes. We’ll have to see if this promise offers any sort of backlash in the coming weeks before the election.
- House Votes To Block Obama’s Change To Welfare Requirement (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- As Mass. governor, Romney took tough welfare line (miamiherald.com)
- Morning Bell: Obama Doesn’t Just Gut Welfare Reform, He Turns It Upside Down (heritage.org)
- As Mass. governor, Romney took tough welfare line (news.yahoo.com)
- As Mass. governor, Romney took tough welfare line (cnsnews.com)
- Napolitano: Obama’s Plan to Waive Welfare Work Requirements is Illegal and Unconstitutional (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Food Stamp Participation Doubled Among Able-Bodied Adults After Obama Suspended Work Requirement (heritage.org)
- As Mass. governor, Romney took tough welfare line (utsandiego.com)
- House moves to reverse administration welfare plan (mercurynews.com)
- Able-bodied adults on food stamps doubles after Obama suspends work requirement (riehlworldview.com)