Endeavour to Take to the Skies One Last Time
One of NASA’s 747 SCAs carries Endeavour from Edwards to Kennedy in 2008 following its landing at Edwards to conclude shuttle mission STS-126. (NASA)
Endeavour, mounted atop NASA’s modified 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA), will become the last Space Shuttle orbiter to soar aloft when it departs Monday, Sept. 17, from Kennedy Space Center in Florida on a three-day flight to Los Angeles International Airport.
In cooperation with the Federal Aviation Administration, the SCA is scheduled to conduct low-level flyovers at about 1,500 feet above many locations along the planned flight path, including Cape Canaveral, Stennis Space Center, New Orleans and stopovers in both Houston and Edwards Air Force Base in California.
Flyovers of Sacramento and San Francisco are also planned before landing at LAX on the 20th.
After arrival at LAX, Endeavour will be demated from the SCA and spend a few weeks at a United Airlines hangar undergoing preparations for transport and display. The orbiter then will travel through Inglewood and Los Angeles city streets on a 12-mile journey from the airport to the California Science Center, arriving on the evening of Oct. 13.
See a map of Endeavour’s planned route across LA here.
Beginning Oct. 30, the shuttle will be on permanent display in the science center’s Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Endeavour Display Pavilion, beginning its new mission commemorating past achievements in human spaceflight and educating and inspiring future generations of explorers.
On August 16 Endeavour was moved from KSC’s Orbiter Processing Facility 2 to the Vehicle Assembly Building, where it’s being housed temporarily until its departure on the 17th. (Photo above at right; read more here.)
On May 16, 2011, Endeavour launched on its final mission, STS-134:
Completed in July 1990, Endeavour (OV-105) was the last shuttle orbiter to be constructed for NASA. Endeavour completed 25 missions, spent 299 days in orbit, and orbited Earth 4,671 times while traveling 122,883,151 miles.
- Endeavour to Take to the Skies One Last Time (universetoday.com)
- Space Shuttle Endeavour’s final flight charted (lightyears.blogs.cnn.com)
- Space Shuttle Endeavour’s final flight charted (fox6now.com)
- Space shuttle Endeavor to depart on cross-country flight (cbsnews.com)
- Endeavour’s final route before LA (kfwbam.com)
- Shuttle Endeavour to fly over California landmarks, southern US (stripes.com)
- Space Shuttle Endeavour To Fly One Last Time (gadling.com)
- NASA Jets, Tickets Taking Off for Space Shuttle’s Flight to L.A. (space.com)
- Space shuttle Endeavour’s arrival in LA prompts city to cut down 400 trees (guardian.co.uk)
- Endeavour a Step Coser to its New Mission of Inspiration (spacefellowship.com)