AUGUST 30, 2012
ROMNEY ACCEPTS NOMINATION: “I BOUGHT IT”
POSTED BY ANDY BOROWITZ
TAMPA (The Borowitz Report)—Coining a phrase that seems destined to become his new campaign slogan, Mitt Romney needed only three words tonight to accept the Republican Presidential nomination: “I bought it.”
Those words had a special meaning for Mr. Romney, who had to spend seventy million dollars in the G.O.P. primaries to defeat a serial adulterer, a former pizza executive, and a crackpot in a sweater-vest.
It has been an up-and-down convention for Mr. Romney, who was largely ignored at Tea Party rallies early in the week but later picked up a key endorsement from his wife.
Tonight, however, was a time to reflect, as he put it, “on money well spent.”
“Our opponents say that America is in decline, that it is no longer number one,” he said. “I say our democracy is the best that money can buy.”
Mr. Romney braided his speech with the theme of “I bought it,” reminding his audience that in order to take the White House, “I have millions to go before I sleep.”
He made an emotional appeal to a group he called “the single-issue billionaires,” imploring them, “Let me know what you want. Eliminate the E.P.A.? Bomb Iran? Mitt Romney is open for business.” The audience roared its approval.
Mr. Romney made one reference to his running mate, Rep. Paul Ryan (R., Wisc.): “Don’t let his crazy rock-and-roll playlist fool you. He’s serious about the important things: cutting taxes for the rich and ending Planned Parenthood.”
Ultimately, he ended his speech with a rousing call to arms that brought the Republican audience to its feet: “The road to the White House will be hard, and strewn with challenges. But together, there’s nothing we can’t buy.”
- At R.N.C., Romney Hailed as Regular Guy by Woman with Horse in Olympics : The New Yorker (mbcalyn.com)
- G.O.P. Offers Delegates Official Tips on Pretending to Like Mitt Romney : The New Yorker (mbcalyn.com)
- Mitt Romney acceptance speech: Excerpts (blogs.suntimes.com)
- Romney RNC Speech – Mention of Compassion, Got Little Reaction (fidlerten.com)
- ELECTION 2012: Candidate Mitt Romney Accepts Presidential Nomination – 2012 Republican National Convention (pumabydesign001.com)
- Romney returns to Cincy Saturday as Obama heads to Toledo, Cleveland next week (examiner.com)
- Bill Kristol On Romney’s Speech: Does He Know There’s A War Going On? (alan.com)
- Mitt Romney: Tea Party puppet (salon.com)
- Obama’s Odds of Reelection Increase After Romney’s Acceptance Speech (politicususa.com)
- Romney to visit storm-damaged Louisiana (hosted.ap.org)