Fake news and political satire.
JULY 27, 2012
MITT ROMNEY’S OLYMPIC TROUBLE CONTINUES
Posted by Andy Borowitz
LONDON (The Borowitz Report)—Republican Presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s gaffe marathon at the 2012 Olympics in London continued unabated today.
Mr. Romney’s day got off to a bad start when he told a reporter for the Sunday Times, “I don’t mind that the British keep calling me a banker, but why do they pronounce it with a ‘W’?”
Any hope that the former Massachusetts governor would recover from such missteps was shattered after the Olympics’ Opening Ceremony, when he blasted former Beatle Paul McCartney for not being prepared to sing “Hey Jude.”
“He did not seem ready to sing that song, which was certainly disconcerting,” Romney said. “Maybe he should have gone with a song that he had done before.”
The Republican candidate’s visit did little to win over the British people, as a poll showed that a majority of Britons wanted the Opening Ceremony to conclude with the Olympic torch lighting Mr. Romney’s head ablaze.
Alfie Langlan, owner of the popular Earl’s Boot pub, in Central London, summed up Mr. Romney’s performance this way: “Mitt Romney is coming across as an out-of-touch rich person in a country that still has a Queen.”
- Romney Claims Dog Ate Tax Returns and Ran Bain Capital for Three Years : The New Yorker (mbcalyn.com)
- Mitt Romney’s London Trip: Successful In Terms of Image Deconstructing (themoderatevoice.com)
- POLL: Majority of Republicans Guess They Have to Support Fucking Romney : The New Yorker (mbcalyn.com)
- Romney Campaign Releases First Picture of V.P. Pick : The New Yorker (mbcalyn.com)
- London 2012 Olympics: Boris Johnson fires broadside at US Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney’s doubts over London’s readiness for Games (standard.co.uk)
- Romney wades into London Olympics controversy (latimes.com)
- Mayor Of London Blasts Mitt Romney Over Olympics (eurasiareview.com)
- Krauthammer Slams Romney Over Olympics Comment: ‘Unbelievable,’ ‘Incomprehensible’ (mediaite.com)
- Piers Morgan Defends Mitt Romney’s Olympics Comments: ‘He Was Just Speaking The Truth’ (mediaite.com)
- Mitt Romney: I expect the Olympic Games to be highly successful (telegraph.co.uk)