POSTED JUNE 12, 2012
In Emergency Session, U.N. Declares Florida a Rogue State
Status of Democracy ‘Fragile,’ Spokesperson Says
NEW YORK (The Borowitz Report) – Calling the status of democracy in the Sunshine State “fragile at best,” the United Nations met in emergency session today to declare Florida a rogue state.
The actions by Florida Gov. Rick Scott to purge the voter rolls in his state might have inspired the vote by the U.N., but as the spokesperson for the U.N. Secretary-General said, “We’ve had problems with elections in Florida before.”
The vote means the U.N. could soon dispatch a team of observers to Florida, led by diplomats from such democracies as Egypt and Libya.
Gov. Scott’s voter purge was only the latest in a series of events “that reveal a near-total breakdown of the rule of law in Florida,” the U.N. spokesperson said.
“This is a state where people have been killed for carrying Skittles and iced tea, or had their faces eaten off by zombies high on bath salts,” he said. “And now this thing with Rick Scott.”
In other Florida news, former Gov. Jeb Bush yesterday risked alienating his fellow Republicans by making what Fox News called “a series of dangerously sane remarks.”
In stating that the current Republican Party would not be hospitable to the likes of Ronald Reagan, Fox reported, “Jeb Bush displayed a level of sanity that makes most of his fellow Republicans extremely uncomfortable.”
Mr. Bush was said to be huddling with his advisers to come up with a statement unhinged enough to win his way back into the hearts of the Republican mainstream, perhaps by advocating legal marriage between a man and an assault rifle.
Elsewhere on the political scene, President Obama today said he “misspoke” when he said last week that the private sector of the economy was fine: “What I meant to say was that Mitt Romney is a dick.”
And after a woman was arrested for cooking meth in a Missouri Walmart, the company released the following statement: “Walmart has a strict policy against American-made products.”
- Violence in Myanmar state prompts UN to move out (devex.com)
- What Jeb Bush really said (salon.com)
- U.N. human rights expert, South Florida immigration advocates call for halt of deportations to Haiti (miamiherald.com)
- U.N. Climate Organization Wants Immunities Against Charges of Conflict of Interest, Exceeding Mandate, Among Others (foxnews.com)
- Jeb Bush: Reagan ‘would have a hard time’ in today’s GOP (thehill.com)
- The U.N. Seeks to Tax the Internet (blacklistednews.com)
- Jeb Bush Is Not The Future Of The Republican Party (themoderatevoice.com)
- U.N. seeks $198 mil. to address humanitarian needs in N. Korea (english.kyodonews.jp)
- Jeb Bush Takes Aim at Fellow Republicans (nytimes.com)
- Jeb: Reagan, Bush Sr. ‘would have hard time’ in new GOP (blogs.ajc.com)