Ann Romney: “Why should women be paid equal to men?”
April 18, 2012
By Sarah Wood
At a meeting with the “Moms For Mitt” group yesterday outside Philadelphia, PA, Ann Romney was asked her opinion on Lilly Ledbetter and equal pay for equal work regarding women’s employment. Without hesitation she responded with another question that seemed to shock even the most staunch conservatives in the room.
“Why should women be paid equal to men? Men have been in the working world a lot longer and deserve to be paid at a higher rate. Heck, I’m a working mom and I’m not paid a dime. I depend on my husband to provide for me and my family, as should most women… and if a woman does work, she should be happy just to be out there in the working world and quit complaining that she’s not making as much as her male counterparts. I mean really, all this wanting to be equal nonsense is going to be detrimental to the future of women everywhere. Who’s going to want to hire a woman, or for that matter, even marry a woman who thinks she is the same, if not better than a man at any job. It’s almost laughable. C’mon now ladies, are you with me on this?”
After Ann Romney finished speaking, there was an awkward silence in the air with a smattering of applause that seemed to come from a forced obligation to support their future party nominee’s wife.
Seemingly belittled by the lack of agreement, Ann Romney was ushered out of the banquet hall and driven back to where her husband was waiting for her. It is not known if the former Governor has heard this quote yet. However, I’m sure he will support it and tell anyone who doesn’t that they are waging a war on women everywhere. You know, because that makes total sense.
- Why Should Women Be Paid Equal to Men? (lipsticking.com)
- Hilary Rosen was right. Ann Romney doesn’t speak for women in the workforce. – The Washington Post (mbcalyn.com)
- Rosen gives Romney a chance to close the presidential gender gap – The Hill’s Blog Briefing Room (mbcalyn.com)
- Free Wood Post – Both Mitt and Ann Romney Vow To Only Shop At Wal-Mart Through Remainder of Campaign (mbcalyn.com)
- Free Wood Post – Wal-Mart Vow (mbcalyn.com)
- Michelle Obama tweets support for mothers after Democratic strategist criticizes Ann Romney (boston.com)
- Hilary Rosen is right about Ann Romney (wnd.com)
- Ann Romney has pricey passion for horseback riding (staradvertiser.com)
- Ann Romney: ‘I Love The Fact That There Are Women Out There Who Don’t Have A Choice’ And ‘Must Go To Work’ (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Soledad O’Brien Calls Out Ann Romney: She Seemed Like ‘Wow I Was Able To Score Political Points’ (mediaite.com)