Hackers steal police names, threaten cop’s wife
BY FRANK MAIN AND NATASHA KORECKI Staff Reporters May 21, 2012
Hackers have obtained the names and star numbers of every Chicago Police officer, a police source said. | Dan Luedert~Sun-Times Media
Updated: May 21, 2012 7:42PM
Hackers have obtained the names and star numbers of every Chicago Police officer and are suspected of calling one supervisor’s home Monday and telling his wife he had been shot to death, a police source said.
The FBI, the U.S. Secret Service and the Chicago Police are all investigating a cyber-attack on the city’s website Sunday.
The website — cityofchicago.org — was down around 10 a.m. Sunday, but sections of the site were running again, at least intermittently, shortly afterward. The site was fully operational at 1 p.m., officials said.
On cyberwarnews.info, a YouTube video was posted saying an operation was launched against the Chicago Police Department and its websites.
The group called itself AntiS3curityOPS and referenced the cyber-activists known as Anonymous.
On Monday, someone called the home of a police supervisor and told his wife he had been shot to death. Later, someone called the home again “and said they were coming to kill her,” a source said.
The source said authorities believe the threat was linked to Sunday’s hacking incident. It’s unclear whether other city information was stolen, too, the source said.
- Anonymous Hackers Claim to Take Down Chicago Police Website (raptureimminent.wordpress.com)
- Anonymous Hackers Claim to Take Down Chicago Police Website (wrc559.com)
- Anonymous Hackers Claim to Take Down Chicago Police Website (mashable.com)
- City Of Chicago Website Target Of Cyber Attack? (chicago.cbslocal.com)
- City of Chicago under attack… by hackers (EndtheLie.com)
- Report: Hack attack on Chicago city site (upi.com)
- UPDATE: At least 45 arrested in NATO protests; 4 Chicago police officers injured (vindy.com)
- Protest Against NATO: Chicago Police Website Attacked by Anonymous (news.softpedia.com)
- City of Chicago under attack… by hackers (rt.com)
- Hacktivists claim takedown of Chicago police Web site (news.cnet.com)