Obama on NATO Summit: It’s no Taste of Chicago
BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter email@example.com May 20, 2012 1:32PM
President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama arrive at Chicago O’Hare International Airport to attend the NATO Summit Saturday, May 19, 2012 in Chicago. (AP Photo/Paul Beaty)
Deal with it.
In a nutshell, that was President Barack Obama’s kidding message to Chicagoans carping about all the traffic restrictions and security measures in place for the NATO Summit.
“I’ve been asking: Why is everybody making such a big fuss? This isn’t as big as Taste of Chicago,” the president quipped to a Sun-Times reporter.
Of course, NATO doesn’t come with ribs and turkey legs, either.
Obama chatted briefly after what he termed a “good meeting today” with Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai.
“We have ended our combat role — the Afghan War as we know it has ended,” Obama said.
“Afghanistan, as you rightly put it, is looking forward to an end to this war,” Karzai said.
As for more light-hearted skirmishes, Obama said he expected no chance to slip away today and watch his beloved White Sox battle the Cubs in the Crosstown Classic.
“No, they don’t let me have fun,” he told the Sun-Times.
And did he feel left out that protesters targeted Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s North Side house and not the president’s Kenwood digs?
Obama just laughed.
- Obama: NATO shifting to help peace in Afghanistan (mysanantonio.com)
- NATO show begins today with summit, protests – Chicago Sun-Times (mbcalyn.com)
- Hotels have reservations about NATO’s profit potential – Chicago Sun-Times (mbcalyn.com)
- Obama on NATO Summit: It’s no Taste of Chicago (suntimes.com)
- NATO Blog: The stage is set for summit, protests – chicagotribune.com (mbcalyn.com)
- 2 more charged in foiled plot as NATO leaders meet – CNN.com (mbcalyn.com)
- Obama on Chicago NATO: Why the fuss? Not as big as Taste of Chicago (blogs.suntimes.com)
- NATO’s chief on Chicago NATO protests: Mark of “free societies” – NATO summit (mbcalyn.com)
- Men accused of plotting attacks around NATO summit (mysanantonio.com)
- NATO summit opens in Chicago (dailystar.com.lb)