Instagram Users Fail to Welcome Their New Overlord
By NICK BILTON
| April 10, 2012
screenshot via InstagramMark Zuckerberg shared his fourth photo ever on Instagram on Tuesday after purchasing the company for $1 billion.
Beast, Mark Zuckerberg’s dog, had his moment of fame on Instagram Monday. The Facebook founder shared a picture of the shaggy-haired mutt late in the evening after his company announced it was purchasing Instagram for $1 billion.
It was only Mr. Zuckerberg’s fourth post since signing up for Instagram in October 2010. (That’s $250 million a photo.)
Some Instagram users embraced Mr. Zuckerberg, congratulating him on the acquisition and welcoming him back to the service after he had not shared a photo in 43 weeks. Others took the opportunity to voice their dismay about the deal and share fears that Instagram will be destroyed by the social media giant.
“Congrats on the purchase…” wrote monkm, an Instagram user. “I must add however that most of us on IG are on here because it’s not FB not that there’s anything wrong with FB it’s just we like the community here…”
Another user, anna777loves777you, said: “@zuck thanks for taking IG away from us!!!”
An especially vitriolic comment written by brianbrutal said, “Stick to being overlord of FaceBook. We don’t want you on Instagram.” The comment has since been deleted.
When I posted a photo on Instagram about the Facebook acquisition, one user raised a concern:
“Oh no! I’m in china. Chinese government blocked the Facebook,” wrote June Penelope Lee. “If Instagram combine with Facebook that means I might cannot use this anymore.”
While many applauded the Instagram founders on Twitter for successfully selling the company, others said they would quit Instagram, just as they had Facebook in the past. You can see a few sample Twitter messages below.
- Facebook Buys Out Instagram (theprbuzz.wordpress.com)
- Instagram: Fun Facts (bellwort.wordpress.com)
- Facebook Buys Instagram (cyberculturalist.com)
- Facebook Buys Instagram: Should Users “Like” This Status Update? (blogworld.com)
- Facebook buys Instagram for US$1bn (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- Facebook and Instagram (theequitykicker.com)
- Breaking News: Facebook just agreed to acquire Instagram for $1Billion (thebusinesscircus.wordpress.com)
- Done with Instagram Now that Zuckerberg Owns it? Don’t Forget to Save Your Photos! (iphonelife.com)
- Facebook Buys Instagram, Says CEO Mark Zuckerberg! (hitechanalogy.com)
- Mark Zuckerberg: I’m excited … we’ve agreed to acquire Instagram (nextlevelofnews.com)