(CNN) – While the Obama administration fights to protect the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act, Democratic strategist and CNN contributor James Carville said a Supreme Court overruling may not be such a bad thing for the president, politically.
“I think this will be the best thing that has ever happened to the Democratic Party,” Carville said Tuesday on CNN’s “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.”
He added: “You know, what the Democrats are going to say, and it is completely justified, ‘We tried, we did something, go see a 5-4 Supreme Court majority’.”
Carville, who gained fame working on Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign, predicted health care costs will only increase in the future, in which case Republicans will be to blame for leading the drive to expel a federal program designed to help Americans cover those costs.
“Then the Republican Party will own the healthcare system for the foreseeable future. And I really believe that. That is not spin,” Carville said.
Republican and RedState.com editor Erik Erikson, meanwhile argued that an overruling would represent more mainstream sentiments than not.
“Both sides, not just the Democrat side, even if the laws were upheld or struck down, there is a 5-4 conservative majority, and historically you see Republicans picking justices who have a greater propensity to gravitate to the left than you see Democrat judges propensity to gravitate to the right,” Erikson, also a CNN contributor, said. “This will be an undercurrent issue for both sides, though.”
- Carville: A Supreme Court loss will help Democrats (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Carville: If Health Care Gets Vetoed, “Best Thing That Ever Happened To The Democratic Party” (alan.com)
- Senate Democrats Warn Overturning Health Care ‘Grave For Nation,’ Good For Democratic Electoral Hopes (mediaite.com)
- Wednesday News Reads: Day Three (skydancingblog.com)
- POLITICAL HOT TOPICS: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Why overturning health care would be a Democratic disaster (politico.com)
- CNN’s GUT CHECK for March 27, 2012 (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Carville: GOP, your real problem is Mitt (cnn.com)
- Carville: Court loss ‘best’ for Dems (politico.com)
- Carville: GOP adults want ‘children’ to behave themselves (cnn.com)