POSTED JANUARY 25, 2012
Obama Risks Alienating Republicans By Using Facts
Radical Tactic Sparks Outrage
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report) – In what some critics are calling the most radial tactic ever employed in a State of the Union Address, President Barack Obama risked alienating congressional Republicans last night by repeatedly using facts.
Mr. Obama stirred controversy throughout the speech with his relentless references to facts, data, and things that have actually happened, all long considered the third rail of American politics.
As the President made reference to tax rates and unemployment numbers, as well as sixteen separate mentions of Osama bin Laden, congressional Republicans’ blood began to boil.
After the speech, a furious Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters, “It’s been a longstanding tradition in our politics not to use facts in a State of the Union Address, a tradition the President chose to ignore in an outrageous way tonight. I won’t stand for it and the American people won’t stand for it.”
“We want to work with the President for the good of the American people,” added House Speaker John Boehner. “But he’s going to have to take facts off the table. That’s a deal-breaker for us.”
The President did not mention any of his GOP presidential rivals by name in his speech, but at one point said that government should be “leaner,” a blatant jab at former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.
- Borowitz Report – In Confident Sign, Gingrich Changes Facebook Status to ‘In an Open Relationship’ (mbcalyn.com)
- Borowitz Report – Conspiracy Theorists Believe Actual Republican Candidates Are Tied Up Somewhere (mbcalyn.com)
- Live Blogging and Live Video Streaming: President Barack Obama’s State of the Union Address (themoderatevoice.com)
- Borowitz Report – Romney Under Pressure to Prove He Was Manufactured in US (mbcalyn.com)
- Borowitz Report (mbcalyn.com)
- Borowitz Report – Startled Deer Becomes New Republican Frontrunner (mbcalyn.com)
- Obama Says US Not Deserting Iraq: ‘We Will Continue to Follow You on Twitter’ ” Borowitz Report (mbcalyn.com)
- Borowitz Report – Romney Jubilant After Finishing in Dead Heat with Walking Joke in Sweater Vest (mbcalyn.com)
- As Cain Drops Out, Pro-adultery Voters Shift to Gingrich ” Borowitz Report (mbcalyn.com)
- Borowitz Report – Concerned White House Aides Say Obama Has Not Stopped Laughing Since Saturday Night (mbcalyn.com)